Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Trip Back Home


Photo of me at age 5 on my first day with my new mom in Yunnan.
April 1998

Hello Everyone,

In April 1998, I was adopted from an orphanage in Yunnan. I was five years old. I was very happy to go with my new mom. About ten days later, I traveled to the United States to start my brand new life in America. My mom, though she is American
(she is not Chinese), spoke Chinese with me and she and my dad gave me and my sisters (also adopted from China at older ages) many opportunities to keep speaking Chinese. Because of this, I never lost my first language, and I am very proud to be bilingual. My parents have taken my sisters and me back to China many times. We love going to China, and I feel very comfortable there.

In July 2007, I will be traveling to China for three weeks. For part of that time, I will be returning to my home province of Yunnan, and will work for a week at my former orphanage at a camp run by an organization committed to helping children in orphanages. I am SO excited to help! After the camp, I will go to Anhui province, where my little sister is from, and spend time with some good friends. I will meet my sister, Jiawen, at the end of July, and we will fly home together. I will update this blog while I am in China as often as I can. Feel free to write with any questions, suggestions or comments.

Take care,

Fang (aka Jenni)

****************************************Photo taken at my hotel in Shanghai. Jiawen with her Chinese
dad and brother.
July 12, 2007

Before I go to sleep in my hotel in Shanghai, I just wanted to say that my sister, Jiawen and I made it safely to China. As always, it took SOOOOOOO long and I am VERY tired! Jiawen's brother met us right at the gate in the airport - he was the person written on the Northwest form to meet us. Jiawen's father was waiting for us outside the baggage area. He was SO happy to see Jiawen! We had to go through customs of course. Jiawen's family drove me to my hotel and they made sure I got up to my room, too. It seems like a really nice hotel. I am posting a picture of them in the hotel before Jiawen's family left to drive to their home in Nanjing. Tomorrow morning, I will meet one of the physical therapists (and her family) who is going to be working at the camp with me. For now though, I am going to go to bed!

Good night from Shanghai!


Fang Fang
*******************************************
July 14, 2007

We have pretty much gotten acclimated to the time zone. I met up with the family I was supposed to and have been having a great time with them. I feel very comfortable with them. They are so kind, and interesting and fun to talk to. They have an 8 year old daughter/sister who comes from my orphanage. I think she has enough energy to power Shanghai! The sales people always comment on her. They say she is very cute and very smart and she is.

Me and K. out shopping.

Our first day, it rained on and off in Shanghai. We went to a beautiful place called The Jade Temple. Unfortunately, the guards stopped me from taking any photos. The Buddhas were spectacular! We had a wonderful vegetarian lunch in the temple.

After that we went shopping in some really interesting places. I got a new handbag (I know, Mom, I don't REALLY need it, but it was such a great price!). We walked around a lot and it was raining on and off so I did not take many photos. For dinner, we went to a hotpot place and it was sensational! Mom, I ordered your favorite "nangua bing" (pumpkin cakes). By then we were all pretty tired so we decided to call it a night so we could be rested for our last full day in Shanghai.

Some of the most delicious baozi I have ever had!

Today, we went out for more walking around. We went to a fantastic "baozi" place. Baozi are those traditional steamed buns, usually with some kind of filling. They were delicious! We also went to a gorgeous outdoor garden and museum called the Yu Yuan. They had an ethnic minority museum there. Since we are about to head to Yunnan (the home of many ethnic minorities), we did not buy any items. The woman there thought the little girl in my group was from the Dai minority and she said I looked Miao or Vietnamese - which is what many people in China say about me and my looks. Fortunately, at the Yu Yuan, they allowed photos to be taken.

Yu Yuan (Garden) and Museum.

Now we are packing up our things (again!) as we get ready to head to Yunnan province in the morning. We will be jumping right into the camp experience
as the orphanage has invited us there for an afternoon meeting to discuss the arrangements for the camp. The camp is starting Monday morning! I am so excited to translate and be as helpful as I can - a little nervous though, too. Tonight, I ordered a van for our group so we can all get to the airport easily with all our stuff. The mom in my group is carrying a lot of therapy equipment for the camp and is really loaded down.

Soon we will be flying into Yunnan. I can't wait to look down and see the land where I came from. I always feel so happy when I am about to touch down in Yunnan. The next time I write, I will be there!


Until then,


Fang Fang


*******************************************

Fang's favorite "Peacock Dance."

July 16, 2007

Hello from Hanni, Fang Fang's mom.

I doubt I can do as great a job as Fang Fang has been doing on this blog, but she called us this morning from Yunnan and asked me to please post a message for her. For some reason, she is not able to access her blog right now. She asked me to recap the highlights and she just emailed photos, which fortunately she is still able to do.

Highlights:


Fang reports that it has been go-go-go since arriving in Yunnan. Things are very busy with their work at the orphanage. It is tiring for her and demanding, but she LOVES the team of therapists and translators she is working with. They all get along, and support each other. The orphanage took them to a spectacular place for dinner last night that had a dancing show and Fang really enjoyed the performances. She especially loved a peacock dance. Many officials were there to welcome them and join in on the fun. Fang met many people and was able to personally thank those who allowed her to come work at the orphanage.

Fang with the Yunnan government official who allowed her to go.

Today (Tuesday in China), the team will be traveling to a remote area where many children with disabilities are fostered. It is at least a 3 hour drive each way! It will
be another very long day. Fang said she talked non-stop yesterday so she was a little hoarse when she reached us this morning. They are going into some real Yunnan countryside, and I look forward to reading her own words on her experiences. They will be visiting another rural area a little closer tomorrow, where the girls and I visited last year. On Thursday, Fang said they will be participating in a "Minority Fire Pit Dance." They have been told to wear their dancing clothes! The team she is working with has been told that they may not take photos at the orphanage or the camp activities, but I hope taking pics at the fire pit will be permitted! It sounds exciting!

Fang with one of the minority dancers.

That's all for now. I will try to keep you updated until Fang can get back onto her blog (perhaps not until she is Hefei next week). We miss her and Jiawen SO much. Overall, she is having a rich experience though her schedule is packed really tight. I read all of your comments to her and she was so happy to hear from you all.

*******************************************

July 17, 2007

Hi to everyone!

I still cannot get onto my blog, but I am sending this as an email and my mom will post it for me with some pictures. I have loved getting your messages. I am so sorry I have not had time to do better with writing. I had imagined leisurely evenings with
the team, shopping and talking about the day, and then coming back to our hotel rooms to answer lots of emails, take a bath and sleep! It has not exactly worked out that way, as our "hosts" have had different ideas and kept us going constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY! I REALLY can't wait to get to Hefei so I can rest.

The beautiful countryside in Yunnan.

Yesterday, we went to a far away place. It took more than three hours each way to get there. We ate at little country places and the food was very good, though we were all pretty tired. The countryside was very lush and green. We were in a village where there are lots of disabled kids living with foster families. The foster parents are SO wonderful and they love the children so very much. I would like to help those people in the future. They were some of the most sincerely loving people I have ever met.

Me with my kindergarten teacher who is still there!

Today we went to the the orphanage and we did get to see some kids. I just love being with them and am ready to take a few home with me! One personally good thing that happened to me is that I asked to see my former kindergarten teacher. I was told she was not there anymore, but later, someo
ne told me she WAS there and took me to her. I cannot take pictures of kids at the orphanage, but I was allowed to have a photo taken with my teacher. Xiaobo and Cleora, if you are reading this blog, this was your kindergarten teacher, too, and she says hello to you both and that she remembers you! My teacher said I am the only one who comes back to see her and who remembers her each time. I told her I will always remember her.

That's it for today. More long hours await us tomorrow and I must rest. We are all trying to stay in good spirits and health!

Love to you all,

Fang Fang


*******************************************

July 18, 2007

To my friends and family,

This post is going to be much shorter. We had another very long day (I bet you
getting tired of me saying this) and did not get home until 10:30 at night. We went out to the countryside again though this time, the ride was only an hour each way. We were in more fostercare villages. There were many people around. Lots of officials and foster parents. Just like at the other village we visited, these foster parents also love their foster children very much. Many of the foster parents in this village are from the Yi minority and we were instructed in some Yi dancing. I was probably not the best dancing student due to fatigue, but I did try my best!

Yi Dancing

I am not sure if I'll be able to write tomorrow or not. We are scheduled to go to the Stone Forest. If it is not raining, I hope to get a few good photos.


Thinking of you all whom I love and miss a lot, especially my mom.


Fang Fang


*******************************************

July 20, 2007

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been able to post very much. We have still been going nonstop and we have a couple more days to go. Yesterday we went to the Stone Forest in the rain! We were all pretty exhausted, but it was one of those things where we just had to smile and go because it would have been rude not to. We were just so tired, and some of us had been to the Stone Forest before, so we could have skipped it! After the Stone Forest, we were taken to a restaurant and all of the officials had a farewell dinner for us. The food was pretty good, but I think everyone just wanted to get some sleep! There was lots of posing for pictures and promises of future visiting.

Me outside the restaurant where we had our farewell dinner.

I have come to feel close to this team of volunteers in the short week we have been together - the Chinese coordinators and translators as well as the American therapists. I feel sad about saying good-bye. I will never forget any of them. I have learned so much about supporting each other and working hard. I wish I could see them often. Thanks to everyone who let me be a part of this great team.

The wonderful Chinese team!

So, we will have one more day in my city. We are not going to be working and we are looking forward to having a day to ourselves. I'll post about it as soon as I can.

Until then,

Fang Fang

*******************************************

July 21, 2007

Our last day in Yunnan!

One of the kindest orphanage directors in China!!

My day started earlier than expected when I got a phonecall from the director of a small orphanage about 4 hours north of Kunming. He and my mom have written to each other for several years, but we had never met. I wanted to meet them but had no time during the week and told him I felt badly about it. But they were determined to meet me and came over to the hotel. I am SO glad they did. He and his wife were so kind. I LOVE them! I wish I could have spent so much more time with them.

Turtles for sale at the Bird and Flower Market.

After breakfast, we headed out for a day just for us! First we went to the famous "Bird and Flower Market" and shopped around. I got a beautiful Thai (or Dai?) outfit for my little sister and some other things. There are lots of animals sold at this market. Some of the animals are for food and some are for pets!


After our shopping, we took a cab over to the also famous Green Lake area. We met one of the therapists who has to leave early. We met at a tea house. I love tea houses! Though I have not caught up on my sleep, it was so nice to be able to be on our own schedule.

Teacups at the Green Lake Teahouse.

After the teahouse, we went to lunch at a Thai restaurant and had a great meal. We shopped a little more - oh, we also went to the Bluebird Cafe - another well known coffee shop and restaurant.


We ended our day at yet another known spot, Wei's Pizzeria! There, we met a longtime family friend, Robbie and his wife and son for dinner. I had carried some baseball items for Robbie's son. I was happy to see Robbie again and I am truly sad I did not have more time with them. I hope they will forgive me. It was not the way I plannned it.

Robbie and family at Wei's.

It was nice to be at Wei's and I REALLY enjoyed a plain, firebrick oven Italian pizza! Wei's is run by a Dutch guy and his Chinese wife. A very fun place to go!

The new location of Wei's Pizzeria.

Now I must do a final packing. We are all heading to the airport early in the morning. The therapists will be going to Beijing before flying back to the U.S. and I will be flying to Nanjing where Jiawen and her family will pick me up. I would like to take my bus to Hefei as soon as I can so I can get there and unpack and relax! I'll write from Hefei if I can get onto the internet at my host family's house.


Much love to you all,

Fang

*******************************************

July 22, 2007

Well, I left Yunnan today. I went to the airport early with the team of therapists and we said our sad farewells. I really miss them! They were all so kind and welcoming to me. I think they must be back home by now.

Our last minutes in the airport before I said good bye to
the wonderful therapists whom I will never forget.


I sat in the airport alone for a couple of hours and wandered around and talked to different people. A family said they thought I looked half Caucasian! Finally, I boarded the plane to Nanjing. I ordered the "Yunnan specialty dish" on the plane but it was too spicy for me! They must have wondered what kind of a "Yunnan ren" I was! I fell asleep and woke up to look over a hazy Nanjing. My sister and her family met me right on schedule. Jiawen got a haircut - I think it looks nice on her. She seems happpy. She said Nanjing hadn't been very hot due to rain. Yah, right!

Jiaz outside her family's apartment in Nanjing.

They took me back to their apartment for lunch and then to the bus station. I talked to my mom and dad back at home and they urged me to spend the night with Jiaz's family. They were worried about how tired I was, but I wanted to get to Hefei, unpack my things and relax! So, I took a 4:00 bus from Nanjing and arrived in Hefei at 6:30 p.m. Our good friend, Jane (she was our facilitator when we adopted Mei) was there to meet me at the bus station just as she promised. It was so good to see her again! She took me back to her apartment and made me some of her homemade jiaozi (dumplings) and plain noodle soup. It was JUST what I needed! I felt better immediately! I met Jane's daughter who is also so very nice. She has no time to visit now as she is studying every single day for the Chinese SAT. I will see her at the end of my stay in Hefei when she has a break, and we can hang out a little. After dinner, Jane drove me to the family who will be hosting me. It is a family with a little 6 year old girl named Ting Ting. I call the mom Jiang Ayi (Auntie Jiang). I know I sound like a broken record, but she is SO nice! Ting Ting is very cute. Their apartment is very warm and cozy and I feel right at home. Jiang Ayi got my computer to work with the internet, so I can post all I want and now I have more time to do it. Jiang Ayi is a professor at a university here in Hefei. She and another professor visited us in California a few years ago. It is so nice to see her again! I will be sure to get some pictures in the coming week.

Some exciting news is that Jane will be taking me to the Hefei Orphanage tomorrow where I will finally get to see the "Little Girl in Pink" (Run Yi). I am really looking forward to seeing her again after a whole year. Now she can speak! I just can't wait. For now though, I am going to go to bed.

Good night from Hefei!!!

Fang

Cute cat in Jiaz's neighborhood.
"Anyone know where I can find a great vet tech?"

*******************************************
July 23, 2007

This entry is dedicated to the Little Girl in Pink!

Our sweet Little Girl in Pink with
the little bunny I brought her.


Dear friends and family,

I have been waiting for this day when I could post about little Yi. Today at about 3:00, Peter (Jane's super driver!) drove Jane and me to the Hefei orphanage. There we met up with the assistant director. I think her name is Ying. She was incredibly warm and kind. First we went to see an adorable little boy named Lu Chun Ke, who my mom's close friend told me is on a list so he can be adopted. I can see why! He has something wrong with his right knee, but it is not a big problem. He is about 5 years old. I gave him a pack of Yogo Bites and he immediately gave me a drawing he had just finished. He wanted to share his Yogo Bites with his little friends. He is so sweet and I hope he will find a family soon. I took some nice photos of him.

After that, we walked to the therapy building at the orphanage, and there sitting down and watching an ancient Chinese themed soap opera, was Yi, otherwise known as our "Girl in Pink." Was it a coincidence that she was dressed in pink today? The minute I walked in, she turned her attention toward us. They allowed me to take many photos and videos. She is SO alert, pretty and very smart! She had on a huge smile the entire time we were there. Her speech is a little bit slurred but I could definitely understand her. Last summer, she did not speak at all. What a HUGE improvement!! She was very comfortable around us. I cradled her in my arms and she was very happy. So was I.

Yi let me cradle her in my arms and she was so happy.

She had two caregivers with her and they work nicely with her. They are very loving with her but do not spoil her and do everything for her. They are always telling her she can do it. They showed us how she can stand with assistance. I really believe that one day she will be able to stand independently and in a few years, she may even walk.

If Yi continues to have people who
encourage and believe in her, she will go far.


At one point, she asked to go to the bathroom (she uses a little poddy). As she sat on it, we all gathered around to watch her. She looked down and said "hai xiu", meaning "I'm embarrassed." We all chuckled and turned away. She is using rather sophisticated words and I called my mom and told her I think she is really quite brilliant.

Soon it was time to leave and as I waved good bye to this sweet little child she started to cry. Her caregivers told us that she is quite sensitive and will cry whenever her "friends" leave her. So, I stayed a few more minutes, but she did not stop crying because she is very smart and she knew I had to go. I don't think she remembers me from last summer but she is always in my heart. When I saw her last summer, I just knew she had intelligence and hope in her eyes, but it is hard to remember that quiet and still little girl when I see the girl I saw today. To those of you who sent donations to Love Without Boundaries to help Yi, I hope you know what a difference your caring has made in her life. I miss her already. I hope that someday, she will be with a family who sees as much in her as I see today.

Outside the orphanage, were a group of middle schoolers who had just finished their community service at the orphanage! They were very excited to hear that I was from America and kept saying, "Hello! Hello!" After we left, Jane brought me to Huang Cheng Mao, a little temple market that sells a lot of jade. There is a real temple there. I bought some incense and prayed for Chun Ke and little Yi.

Me with our amazing Girl in Pink.
Isn't she beautiful?

More later...

Fang

*******************************************

July 25, 2007

Hi everyone,

After reading about little Yi, this post will not be so exciting, but I want to try and keep up with my writing while I have the chance.

At noon, I had a HUGE lunch with a large amount of people. They were mostly college professors, including my hosts. It was fun and there was a lot of "gan bei-ing" which means "cheers!" in Chinese. The food was so yummy!

Our big Chinese lunch!

Later, I went shopping with a scholar we hosted last winter named Xiaoli. She took me to a place called "nu ren jie." This means "women's street." I shopped a lot, maybe a little too much! We had fun. Xiaoli is great and she feels like an older sister. It is so nice seeing her again. For dinner, we went to a crowded hot pot place and met Jiang Ayi and a couple who will be going to Hampshire College to teach this next year. They were also a very sweet couple.

Now I need to get ready to go to bed because Jane invited me to go to a very rural orphanage tomorrow (Huainan). Xiaoli and I stopped at Carrefour (sort of like a French Walmart!) and I bought ¥150 worth of rice cookies for the kids at the orphange. Jane is an adoption facilitator and a family is adopting a child from Huainan, so I will get to accompany them on this trip to the orphanage. I am really looking forward to seeing the area and more kids. I'll write more when I can. Thanks for all your messages!

Love,

Fang

*******************************************

July 25, 2007

Hi to everyone,

This morning, I got up very early and with Jane, I headed toward the Huainan Orphanage, about two hours away from Hefei. I had my ten bags of rice crackers/cookies I had bought the night before for the kids there. An adoptive family came along with us because just three days earlier, they had adopted a little three year old girl from Huainan and they wanted to see where their daughter had lived. It was great meeting them and sharing in their experience. I liked them and their two daughters very much. Their other daughter was adopted from Wenzhou last year.

This orphanage was deep within the countryside. When we got there, many children greeted us. The orphanage had the same white tile that you see all over China in buildings. We started opening up the bag of crackers and the kids got very excited! They were all grabbing excitedly for them. It was quite a scene! Finally, when everyone had had about two packages of crackers, we were able to move in. Jane pointed out a mural on an outside wall and said that Love Without Boundaries had helped out at this orphanage. I was so happy to find this out since they have also helped us to help little Yi, who I wrote about a few days ago.

Some happy and excited kids in Huainan.

The kids were intrigued with my camera and kept asking me to take photos of them with it. They weren't at all shy! There were about 100 kids there. Really beautiful children - I'm sure some will find homes.

The kids loved my camera and asked me
to take many pictures of them.


We left around lunch time and believe it or not, we had lunch at a McDonald's in this posh little countryside town. We were told that the town was wealthy because of its coal supply! This is the new China for sure.
I notice that prices of everything have really risen a lot. Even ice cream!

After we got back to Hefei, Jane dropped me off at a small mall and I loved having some time to myself for awhile. Then I hooked up with my friend, Xiaoli, and the kind couple I met the other night. We had a nice peaceful dinner together.


A quiet dinner with new friends and Xiaoli (right)

After that, we hopped in a taxi and headed to... a second dinner! The second dinner was not as peaceful but still good. Once again, it was mostly college professors. They all wanted to talk with me about various things. My voice started getting hoarse again!


A less quiet dinner with professors! My wonerful host, Professor
Jiang Hong (wearing black) to the left of me.
To the left of her is
Professor Ding (in red), who also has visited us in CA!


Now it is almost time for bed and I am preparing to go away with Xiaoli tomorrow to her family's home town (I cannot remember the name right now). It is about an hour and a half outside of Hefei. We will spend the night there, so I will not be able to post any pictures or blog for a day or two.

Until then,

Fang Fang

*******************************************

July 27, 2007

On Thursday morning, Xiao Li and I took a one and a half hour busride to her hometown - Lujiang. We left at around 9:30 and got there at 11:00. Lujiang is a peaceful little country town. Xiao Li's family lives on the 6th floor (highest floor!) of the building. Her brother, his wife, their six year old daughter, Le Jia and Xiao Li's parents live in the apartment together. The apartment is very spacious and has three large bedrooms. Xiao Li's parents made us all lunch. Her niece, Le Jia is adorable! Although she is being doted on as the only child, she was very nice to me.

Me with 6 year old Le Jia in their apartment.

te a sc After lunch, we all took naps. After naptime, we went to a lake called, "Wan Fu Hu", or Ten Thousand Buddha Lake. It was very hot there! We took a motor boat to an island on the lake. There were many, many islands. I think there were more islands than there were Buddhas! The island we stopped at had a big white Buddha as its main atttraction. It was pretty amazing!

A magnificent Buddha.

We got a tour of the island. There was a temple there that people could pray at. I donated some money and got to tie a beautiful yellow ribbon onto the branch of a pine tree. I made a wish. There were hundreds if not thousands of ribbons on the trees. All the scenery was so beautiful everywhere we went.

One of the many lovely views at the lake.

After the tour, we hopped into the motor boat and returned to the starting point. On the way home to Lujiang, we stopped at a restaurant. The food was so good! When we got home, we all went straight to be because it was already 11:00.

The next day. Xiao Li took me around the town of Lujiang. We shopped a little and had lunch together at a local bakery. After lunch, we headed home. It was a very nice little visit. I really like being in smaller towns. You get a different view of life when you get out of the big cities. Things feel more relaxed to me. Of course, I do not have to be worrying about what I will do for work, so I can just enjoy it.

Xiao Li's family adores Xiao Li and little Le Jia and I can see why. They are all so sincere and I felt so comfortable with them. Even though they took me to the lake, I didn't feel like they were really showing anything off, but just sharing their lives with me. I liked that a lot.

Wayne, Maine or Ten Thousand Buddha Lake?
If you didn't read this blog, could you tell?

A little more to come later on...

Fang Fang

*******************************************

July 29, 2007

Hello from a very hot Hefei!

My days here are coming to an end. I will be sad to leave all of the people who have been so good to me during my stay here.

Today, Ding Shushu (shu shu means uncle) and his wife and Jiang Ayi took me around the city. Ding Shushu and Jiang Ayi actually stayed with us a few years ago when they visited San Francisco, so they are not strangers to me. First they took me to the modern part of the city. They were so proud to show me this area. Then we went to a lake called Bai Tian Hu (White Swan Lake). It was very pretty and looked quite clean. I saw people swimming in it! It was part of a big park and there were animals walking around, sort of like a petting zoo except you could not pet the animals.

Is this a "shui niu" (water buffalo)? I forgot to ask. She was so cute!

After this park, we went to another lake that was HUGE. I cannot remember the name of it. Ding Shushu was surprised by how polluted it was. He snapped a few photos with my camera because he said he wants to raise this issue with his students (Ding Shushu is professor at Anhui Agricultural University)! We did not stay too long because it was becoming unbearably hot.

My new "ganba", Ding Shushu, and
his wife -
sightseeing in the heat!

We returned to Ding Shushu's apartment and it was spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed some fruit and talked for awhile. The younger couple who is going to Hampshire College soon was there. I hope I can see them when they come to the US. I invited them to visit us in California.

Finally, we went to dinner with many professors. It was loud and cheerful. Ding Shushu announced that he was happy to choose me as his new "gan nu er." This is like a goddaughter. It felt a bit awkward, because some of the other professors said they had wanted to do the same thing. Ding Shushu and his wife couldn't be nicer people, I am honored to have a Chinese godfather like him!

Tomorrow is my last day in Hefei. Xiaoli is taking me for a manicure and then I will meet the others for lunch. After that I will be saying goodbye to Hefei. I will miss everyone! I wish they were not so far away. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming to me and I have had a lot of fun here in this city. I know I will be back.

Me with Jiang Ayi. I will miss her.

Good night!

Fang Fang

*******************************************

July 30-31, 2007

This is my last blog entry from China. I thought it would be from Nanjing, and then I would pack up my computer and fly away home! Sometimes there are surprises when you least expect them but let me back track a bit.

On Sunday morning in Hefei, Xiao Li and I went to get manicures/pedicures. It was our last bit of time together before I was to take a bus to Nanjing to meet my sister and her family. The shop we went to did a very nice job! The one thing I have not gotten used to - and I may never - is the fact that in China, we don't tip. After our manicure, I said good-bye to Xiao Li. At that moment I got a call from Lao Wang, our good family friend. He said he was hoping to have lunch with me. I had to call my new ganba and cancel our plans since I really wanted to see Wang Shushu (Uncle Wang). We had a very nice and peaceful lunch together. He told me that he had been in Beijing helping to coordinate a special event for orphans (living in Beijing). After our lunch, we said good-bye and I decided to take one last cab ride over to Huang Cheng Miao, one of my favorite temple markets where they sell older things and jade. I got a few more pieces of jade.

Our good friend, Professor Wang Liyao. He lives in Hangzhou
now but still has an apt. in Hefei. He has helped our family a lot.

At around 3:00, my ganba took me to the bus station, along with Jiang Ayi and her husband. I got to Nanjing about two and a half hours later. Jiawen's dad picked me up. I ended up having dinner with Jiawen, her mom, and a family friend. We had some simple but very delicious food. After dinner, Jiawen's mom told a taxi driver to take me to a massage place that she knows well so I could get a massage. The place I went to was very nice and not too expensive. I got a massage that lasted 1.5 hours for abour $15!! I also got something called "ba gua." The masseuse "captured" a flame with a glass bottle and stuck it on my back. Though this may sound painful. it felt great! The only bad thing about ba gua was that it left six large, red dots on my back. The masseuse told me that after about 3-4 days, the dots would fade.

On my last day in China (or so I thought), Jiaz and I shopped some more. We got some DVDs for Qing and I got a few glamor shots taken! Jiawen already has the ones she had taken. Jiawen's family will send me mine.

In the evening, Jiawen and I went out and got some "yang rou chuan", lamb meat on a stick. The street vendors sell many different things that they grill on small open fires.

Anyone care for fish on a stick? These are
popular
in Nanjing but we did not try them.

We headed home and finished packing. We set our alarms for 3:00 a.m.) since we had to drive to Shanghai and check in by 8:00 a.m. It was not to be though. On the highway, we came to a stand still due to a broken down bus. We were hours behind schedule and missed our plane! Luckily they found seats for us on the same plane the very next day. Jiawen's brother drove us to a nearby hotel and Jiawen's dad stayed with us and put us on the plane the next day. As he said to Jiawen, "At least I get one more day with you."

Jiawen and her Chinese dad got one more day together.

We were all tired, so we did not go out that night but ate dinner in our hotel. The hotel room had free internet so I was able to write most of this blog.

Heading home from Shanghai - for real this time!

I'll post one more time about being home and share some final thoughts on my trip. But for now I'll just say that we made it!

Fang Fang

*******************************************

August 2, 2007

Hi Everybody,

I am writing this last entry with some sadness in my mind, but light in my heart. I am back in America now, but I miss China so much. Though it is nice to be home, I wish I could be in my two homes all at once. I think my sister, Jiawen feels the same way. She would like to be in both places. I feel saddened that my journey has ended, but knowing that life is composed of many treks and journeys comforts me.

Ten Thousand Buddha Temple, Anhui Province

Not everything about my trip was easy but it was worth it. Fighting alongside Ellen for a taxi, helping in my orphanage, shopping by myself or with friends, visiting Stone Forest in the rain, bringing rice crackers to the beautiful children in Huainan, and seeing the Little Girl in Pink, meeting new and old friends - all these things warm my heart when I remember them. I will carry my memories with me wherever I go until I get back to China.

I have enjoyed sharing my stories with you. I wish I could keep up my blog, but I'm sure most of you would not be so interested in my daily life. I hope that you all enjoyed following me along as I traveled in China. I also want to thank all of you, both here and in China, for your messages, your support and your kindness.

Stone Forest in Yunnan - visiting in the rain.

See you on my next trip!

Take care,

Fang Fang

*******************************************

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Fang!!

You mom just emailed me your URL, so I'm looking forward to reading your blog this summer.
Love,
obiron

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are sharing your trip with us. Thank you Fang and Jiawen.

MIkeM

Unknown said...

hey fang, we love the blog! it feels like we're there with you. sounds like you're having a great time!

love,
rich & amo

capre_viam said...

Hi Fang,
This is Xiaobo(Lia). My mom told me about your tip, and it sounds sooo exciting! I wish I could be there to do it with you. One day we will have to go to China togeather. Meanwhile, it's really great to hear about your adventures in China. I miss you a lot, but I know you are having a great time. So talk to you later.
Lots of love,
Xiaobo

Unknown said...

Fang, can't wait to hear more about your work and play in China.

love, J

Yunnan Kids International Blog said...

Dearest Fangyi,

I know this will be such a busy week in Kunming for you, and you may not have as much blogging time. I can't wait to hear about it whenever. Please say hello to everyone you see/meet from me.

I miss you and Jiasie SO much and am holding you in my thoughts and my heart always.

Your adoring mum

Anonymous said...

Hi Fang Fang,

Your mom sent me the URL for your blogspot...I will look forward in reading your trip back home!

Riam

ALK said...

Fang,
Great to hear your experiences in China. The pictures make it come to life so please continue to add pics..

Uncle Al

Jules Delany said...

Hi Fang,

We are all watching your blog, but even if you don't have time to post, know we are thinking of you!

Love, Diane, Maya and Julieete

Michele S. said...

I look forward to reading about your continued adventures!

Kaytlin's Mom, Michele

Patsy said...

Fang! What a great blog! It's my first time reading one. Thank you for sharing your trip.....it sounds wonderful and exciting. Thank you for writing so well, I keep checking your blog for new entries all the time. And, thank you for the work you are doing. I know you are making a big effort to help others and it's so heartwarming to see.
Warmest wishes from the Southland,
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Fang:

I am glad you had a great trip and got to meet the Zhaos from Dongchuan. I was a little late responding as we just returned from New York City but I read all of your accounts. Great blog.

Mike

betsy ramsey said...

Fang, I don't know if you remember us. We had dinner at the Beijing noodle company last winter. I have been watching your blog. I love all the postings and pictures. We were so impressed with you and your sister last winter and now my mouth just hangs open at what you are doing.
Menghua says hi.

Have fun during the rest of your trip.
Betsy

Jin.Young said...

Hi Fang,

We're all enjoying your blog. This morning I shared it with Yo Yo, and was especially delighted to show him the picture of Jiawen in Nanjing, as that is where he is from.

Safe travels,
Jin

Michele S. said...

Fang,

I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in China. Thank you so much for posting about Yi. I think about her often.

Safe Travels!
Michele, Kaytlin's Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! How wonderful to see the smile on Run Yi's face. I am so glad that you got to visit with her during your visit. I have also enjoyed reading about the rest of your trip - thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your adventure.

Jennifer (YKI)

Unknown said...

Hi Fang - Thanks for creating this wonderful electronic journal - so great to "travel" along with you..Particularly amazing to see the updates on the Yi - she is obviously doing beautifully.....

Travel safely!
love,
Seth (and Rafi, Claire and Bette)

my2cents said...

Oh Fang Fang,
What a memorable journal you are creating here. It warms my heart, as you do. For all your good works, for your incredible spirit, for everything - THANK YOU. You go, girl!
xoxo Peggy (and Abby, away at camp)

patty said...

Hi Fang,

I love reading your blog. I especially enjoy the pictures! Thanks for sharing with us and for the great work you are doing. Sophie is keeping Qing very occupied in your absence!

Thinking of you,

Patty (and Sophie)

Pam, Carlie and Ana said...

Hey Fang! What a huge adventure! Thanks for sharing it. Hi to Jiasie, too. The photos are great. We are all thinking of you both, and looking forward to details (and hot pot) when you and Jiasie get home. Ana says" Miss you! It sounds like a really fun adventure". Enjoy the rest of it.
See you soon.
Love, Pam Carlie and Ana

Anonymous said...

Hi Fang,
How are you? My mom lol told me about you visiting China for the Summer it sounds SO Awesome! I havnt been back to China yet since i was adpoted. I want to go back so badly! I dont know who my birth parents are? Your blog is neat to read about what your all doing in China. I like your outfits your wearing to! I'm 12 yrs old almost 13yrs old. This Summer I'm gunna go to Colorado for a Chinese Heritage Camp in Denver. Like this coming Monday! End of July! Well i will keep checking on your blogs have fun bye.

Grace Buckingham
P.S. if u have like an e-mail or AIM or MSN messenger, or Myspace let me know!

debbie sullivan said...

Hi Fang Fang,

Thank you for sharing your incredible journey. It has been wonderful reading about your experiences. The photos and stories are heartwarming. Look forward to hearing more about your trip and Jiawen's.

Love,

Debbie and Bin Bin

Barbi Beyer said...

Oh my, I am just back to Rhode Island from Wayne, Maine, where I was not able to read this blog. My dear, sweet amazing neice, I am absolutely "blown away" by your beautiful words, the depth of your descriptions and sharing of your experience. Your writing is fluid and interesting and I know now more than ever before that I must experience China!!!! I am so proud to be your Xiao Yi! Thank you Fangi for the gift of your blog. I will forward to M, N and S! I also loved the pix of Jiazi. Love Xiaoz

Anonymous said...

Dear Fang,
you dont know me but I have corresponded a little with your mother a while ago. I also have a Yunnan daughter from Kunming, adopted at 10 months old(she is now 7 and has a younger chinese sister from Guangxi). I thank you for sharing your travel diary with us and also for the very nice photos. Together they convey a picture of happiness and also of hope...You and your sister are darling, beautiful and I think very privileged girls who are obviously determined to make the most out of your lives.
Sincerely
Chantal from Laval, Que Canada